Saturday, October 16, 2010

Haida weaver's with websites

I am always looking for weavers of cedar bark websites. Here are three that I have been browsing lately. In the future I will continue to post more profile's of other weaver artists.

Merle Andersen
San’laa gudgaang
Haida Weaver & Regalia Artist
Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands, B.C. Canada)

“I like working with cedar bark and spruce root. When a project is finished, I feel very proud. I used to help my mother harvest roots and bark, but only became interested in weaving in 1994 when my sister Ginny (Virginia) Hunter offered to teach me. I left it for a couple of years, but started weaving again in 1996.


Gladys Vandal
Jiixa 
Haida Weaver and Teacher
Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands, B.C. Canada)

    Gladys, a member of the Eagle Clan, was born and raised in Skidegate, Haida Gwaii, an island in western British Columbia, Canada. Gladys uses Haida weaving, plaiting and twining techniques to create traditional and modern pieces, including baskets, hats, flowers, doll clothes, rattles, earrings, and pendants. Besides exhibiting and selling her work, she also teaches traditional Haida weaving. 


Isabel Rorick
Haida Weaver

Isabel Rorick (b. 1955) spent the first 25 years of her life in her ancestral Village of Old Masset, on Haida Gwaii. Isabel was the third of six children.

Isabel came from a long line of weavers on both sides of her family. Her Haida name translated is Red Moon, which was a name preciously held by her maternal great-grandmother Isabella Edenshaw. Primrose Adams is her mother. On her father’s side was Selina Peratrovich, her grandmother. Her aunt, Delores Churchill and her two daughters, April and Holly Churchill of Ketchikan, Alaska, are weavers also.

No comments:

Post a Comment